Friday, June 5, 2009

The Leopard Lady

This week we were determined to try and create a couple of partial makeup effects suitable for stage. I wanted to try to create a leopard pattern on skin. This effect I also thought would work well for creating an alien skin effect. To begin with Alana hunted down some leopard fur patterns and printed them. I also looked for images of leopards online. I wanted something to help us get a pattern similar to leopards like this one:



I decided to work on an arm section, although I also considered trying the effect on Alana's face. So you will have to use your imagination a little bit to picture what the overall effect might look like if applied on both arms, face-neck and legs. First, using Paradise water based stage makeup I blocked in the inside area of Alana's arm white using a synthetic sponge. Then I blocked in the yellow section. Stage one looked like this:



After applying the yellow makeup I then went over the top of the middle section of the arm using a light orange. The Paradise water based stage makeup dries quickly and it was easy enough to apply one colour over the top of another. It is also remarkably resistant to wear once applied, with the use of some setting powder in the final stages it would be even more resistant to being rubbed off. However, it also washes off the skin easily with water. So not suitable for scenes involving water. Stage two looked like this:



Then using a size 5 paintbrush with a good sharp tip, I painted on dark brown patterning. I tried replicate the incomplete circles that leopards have as part of the rosettes on their fur. Stage three looked like this:



Alana then felt the need to pose in a superhero stance to show off the effect at a distance. Behold! The Leopard Lady strikes forth! Or something to that effect...



A final close up shows the rosettes that I had coloured in orange. A slightly darker colour was probably needed for the center of each incomplete circle to create a rosette-like finish. Alana thought a light brown would work. I think a darker orange would work. Stage four looked like this:



Overall I was relatively happy with the result, although I think I could have gotten a slightly neater edge on the dark brown incomplete circles if I had taken more time. I also think that this effect looks good as alien markings, certainly good enough for extras in the background of sci-fi movies.

Alana is intending to use me as a guinea pig for some stage makeup tonight. I think she will also eventually get around to posting about zombie makeup and effects.

No comments:

Post a Comment