Sunday, September 6, 2009

Stitched lip

Yesterday I created a stitched lip effect. The final effect looked like this:



There were three relatively simple (if not fiddly) steps to create this effect.

Step one - create cut

The first step was to create a realistic looking cut on the lip using the trusty bruise wheel alcohol / water based makeup. I drew on a darker reddish brown line in the centre and then lighter red on either side. This created an effective looking scar that I was quite pleased with as an effect in and of itself. Step one looked like this on me:



Step two - latex work

The next thing I wanted to do was to enhance the 3 dimensionality of the cut. To do this I used a little liquid latex on either side of the cut line, which I applied using a toothpick and did very light layers. I then dried this with a hair dryer and powdered with setting powder. Step two completed, I then got Alana to take another photo:



Step three - the stitches

The final step was to create some stitches. Using some very sharp scissors I cut up very short pieces of black thread. I then applied spirit gum over the area where the stitches were going to be. Then using a pair of tweezers I stuck the very small pieces of thread criss-cross down the cut. The final effect looked like this:



I think I could do some more research and get the stitches looking a bit better again. I could also apply some yellow around the area to make it look like some iodine has been used to clean the wound. However overall I'm quite pleased with this effect. Hope you enjoyed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment