Thursday, April 5, 2012

Anatomical sculpture

First up an apology for lack of action on our blog (apart from adding a FAQ and new Facebook badge). Sorry, I've been really busy. Plus we have some exciting news, in late 2011 I decided to apply for Neill Gorton's prosthetics and animatronics course in the UK and sent an updated folio of 12 images of prosthetics, props, mould making and sculpting work into Millennium FX for Neill to have a look at. I had mulled over the idea of applying the year before, but I'm glad I didn't as I so wasn't ready.

Then the improbable happened: I got a letter back from Neill inviting me to undertake his 7 week course! I'm one out of 6 who got in. Amazing, unbelievable news. After being blown away with excitement, I slowly began to freak out about the logistics of doing the course. London was after all a long way away from Melbourne and I'd have to generate funds for the course fee, plane ticket, living expenses etc, etc. So with this in mind I've been forced to decline a lot of freelance creative work. Which frustrates me no end, as even though some of it was paid it was irregular and I wasn't going to be able to save. So I've taken up a more steady job labouring to save to cover costs of doing course.

Some of the feedback from Neill was that I should practice more anatomical sculpture. I think I already kind of knew this, as I'm the first to admit a lot of my work is on the fringes of reality. So with this in mind I developed a small project: Sculpt a realistic bust in WED clay.

I hadn't used WED clay for a sculpture like this before (mould walls only). I know, I know, what kind of sfx artist am I right?! I've stuck with Chavant, plasticine and klean klay. So I decided I'd sculpt my friend Dave as he's conveniently bald and shaves his head! I'll admit I also had never sculpted a human bust from scratch before. I'd used lifecasts and done prosthetic and prop sculpture that was anatomical, but hadn't done a realistic human from scratch. So this was designed to be a learning experience. Here are some photos of the finished sculpt, which I then decided to mould. Hope you like them!













No comments:

Post a Comment