Monday, October 12, 2009

Demonic Fawn Horns

I sculpted some fawn or demon horns in oiled based clay back in September. It took me some time to organize some of the other materials to create the mould and prosthetic appliances. The sculpt looked like this:



As you can see they are sculpted onto a base of foam card to give a flat surface. I then made two silicone moulds, one for each horn. One mould was made out of Tin-based silicone and the other out of Platinum-based silicone. If you intend to stick them on a person you will need to use platinum based silicone. If they are say for a puppet cheaper tin silicone is fine. I used Smooth-On's Mold Max 10T and Dragon Skin for the silicone to make the negative moulds. Using foam card, pins and duct tape I built a box to cast the moulds in.





Then I poured half the mould using silicone. You don't want to cover more than half of the original sculpt in the mould so you get two halves at the end of it all. And then I waited overnight for the 7 hour cure.



I then applied some petroleum jelly to the surface of the first half of the silicone poured to act as a release agent. Silicone only sticks to silicone. Then I cast the other half of the mould and waited until the next day. Then I pulled off the tape, ripped out the pins, plied off the foam board and pulled the two halves apart, then popped out my original clay sculpt. They had still stuck together a bit, but as it turned out this was okay as I only needed a gap in one side of the mould. After all this I cleaned the mould thoroughly and then put on some release agent, this time I used a spray release agent and then 3 coats of a mix of detergent and alcohol (1:2 ratio, drying the alcohol between coats). I then reattached both parts of the mould with duct tap wrapped round it. I then mixed up some Dragon Skin with some tan pigment and poured it into my mould. After pulling out one silicone horn I made a second. Then after cleaning with warm soapy water, then hot water, then wiped with 70% alcohol. Finally I hand painted them teal with a sponge using Fuse-FX's range. After two coats of stippling they looked like this:



I'll then attach these to Alana's head (her being a Capricorn and all!) and do a partial makeup for a demonic fawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment