Monday, October 12, 2009

Making a mould for a 3D wound transfer

EDIT: to see a more recent post for a better made 3D transfer mould click here.

***

In September I began work on a number of different projects, one of which was making a mould for a 3D wound transfer. Typically the wounds are sculpted in oil based clay onto a face cast of the actor who is going to wear them then floated off in a water bath before being put on a flat surface. I decided I wanted to make a small universal wound mould of a cut that could be applied almost anywhere. So I sculpted the wound straight onto a piece of plasticard (sheet styrene - although foamboard or even hard cardboard would work).



The sculpt was a simple slightly raised jagged cut made out of medium grade sulfur free oil based clay. I made the cut with an old hobby knife. I added some texture to the skin for pores with a metal skewer (a toothpick would suffice). Then I made a raised mould wall around the wound to act as an edge and stop the silicone when pouring the mould. I then poured silicone into the mould to form a negative impression of the wound I had sculpted. I used Pinkysil to do this, which is a skin safe silicone, but you could potentially use a tin based silicone for wound transfers if you are not going to also use it to cast platinum silicone prosthetics. My intention was to use it to make 3D transfers using bondo.



I then waited for an hour and pulled the silicone mould off my sculpt, which looked like this:



I then decided to immediately try and cast something off my newly made mould. So I filled it with slush latex and made an appliance. (As bondo also contains latex this use is not an issue.) Then I waited for the latex to dry. This resulted in a delicate appliance that could be stuck on with Pros-Aide then sealed with castor sealer and coloured up:

No comments:

Post a Comment