Sunday, June 6, 2010

Fawn test

Last night I did a test run for the ruddy fawn appliance that I made. I put the piece on and did a rough and ready makeup in 30 minutes, which in hindsight I needed a little more time. Here is the completed piece shot on digital camera with flash and maximum lighting:



The pigmentation in this first silicone piece was a bit of an experiment. I got a bit excited with red flocking, so it has quite a flushed tone. So while I don't mind the colour I was never 100% happy with the match between this pigmentation and Alana's skin tone. So I made and painted a second piece with matching ears which turned out with a better edge on the prosthetic, a near identical match with Alana's skin tone and a slightly better paint job. Practice, as they say, makes perfect. Here are the two pieces side by side to get some comparison:



I stuck the piece on using Telesis 5 silicone adhesive mixed with some thinner. This stuff is a great adhesive, but a little tricky to work with because it dries very fast which is why you need thinner. Altogether for a 15ml bottle of Tel 5, 60ml bottle of thinner and 237ml bottle of super solv we paid $94AU. (I was waiting on some super solv to arrive before I did this application). I used a fantastic red pigment from Ben Nye to blend the ruddy appliance with Alana's skin tone. The edges were powdered down to remove shine. The Ecoflex 50 silicone takes makeup beautifully.



Here is the left profile:



Right profile:



A close up shot of the forehead (I was really happy with the top blended edge):



Here is a close up over the eye, it is not terrible but I can pick out the edges more than I'd like:



And here is a shot that shows up the edge around the lip. This is probably the most stand out edge of the whole thing! However, this was actually a problem of me not using enough Telesis 5 adhesive and being rushed before we went out to dinner rather than a problem with the prosthetic:



Overall I learned a lot from this application and making the piece. One thing that came back to haunt me was from a much earlier process of doing the life cast where I ran short of ultracal 30 so had a shallower stone positive. Which meant that the sculpt did not go as far back as it probably could of and the edge over the edge of Alana's eyebrows might need patching with extra flesh if I go to get this shot professionally.

I'm now feeling ready to organise costume and photographer and get some quality snaps of the finished creature! I just need some crows feathers, furry fawn pants and a spear! Bet Alana can't wait to get some furry pants on and have me stick hair to her!

2 comments:

  1. Alana looks so beautiful! ;)

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Liz! I was really pleased with the overall effect. Alana will always look beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete